TV-Squad, a blog-type site that is quickly becoming one of my favorites, asked this question here: “How should Lost end?” I want to ask that same question to you. What would be the ideal ending to Lost?
Personally I want a pretty tragic ending. Here are some of the things I want to happen:
- I want Jack to die most of all. Jack has been set up as such a hero, it would be disappointing if he didn’t end the show with some amazing sacrificial act. And wouldn’t he just love to be a martyr?
- I don’t want the Island destroyed in some misguided attempt to thwart any sequels to the show. I hate it when writers feel the need to destroy sets and locations during season finales. I like to think that the story continues on without us.
- But at the same time I want the finale to be pretty big-budget. It would be a little disappointing if the series finale looked noticibly cheaper than the pilot. I’m not saying they should spend $10 million dollars, but spend a little more than usual.
- I don’t want any happily ever afters to happen off the Island. There will be some storylines that end with a kiss, Sun and Jin aren’t going to finish the series without a big reunion scene. But I really don’t want happiness to happen off the Island. I’m a firm believer in the goodness of the Island. It made me very, very sad when Charlotte said: “This place is death”.
- I would love to see most of the characters on the show to die. I don’t like many of them. And so many of them are just asking for it (I’m thinking of Sayid).
- I don’t want the finale to be the only episode with closure. I hope the writers slowly tie up side stories so that we don’t have to see a clip show of supporting actors dying and/or finding inner peace. It would suck if characters like Frank, Richard and Ilana were kept around until the finale and then were given a few seconds of air-time for closure. (I honestly don’t expect most of the uspporting actors to last until the finale.)
- I wouldn’t be unhappy with unexplained mysteries. I also wouldn’t be mad if they rubbed it in our faces. For example if we never learned about Smokey and then the final scene was Smokey doing something completely unexplainable, I wouldn’t be angry (I might be angry if he turned to the camera and started speaking in James Earl Jones’ voice or something, because that would be quite racist.)
- I also probably wouldn’t be angry if there was a big twist in the final scene. I would be angry if that twist was something like they were all ghosts or it was all virtual reality. But that still gives them a lot of room to turn the show on it’s head.
- I would love if they gave us a reason to watch the entire show over again. It wouldn’t actually be that hard to make me rewatch the series, I enjoy rewatching shows. But I’d like the writers to make it necessary for everyone to watch the show over again. This show is amazing, I really hope that in the future the series will be watched over again, and not just forgotten.
I was going to have my own version of the poll that they had at the TV-Squad site, but I hope that everyone would vote for “kinda-sad” or “kinda-happy” ending. Anywho, go there and vote.
UPDATE: Looke DocArzt found out what some of the actors think the end should be like. Most of them are joking, but Elizabeth Mitchell and Josh Holloway had good suggestions.